SHTCG: The Beginning
The Sacred Heart Tamil Catholic Group (SHTCG) first emerged through the inspiration of a dedicated few Tamil families. The SHTCG, hosted its first prayer session in one of its members home and celebrated first Tamil Mass at St. Athanasius church hall, Mountain View in April of 2014. The prayer session and mass was immensely fruitful and inspiring that the Sacred Heart Tamil Catholic Group was launched immediately thereafter.
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."- Proverbs 3:5
The Sacred Heart Tamil Catholic Group continues as a lay apostolate, planned and organized by an all-volunteer effort. This unique opportunity for prayer, liturgical celebrations, and gathering is recognized and supported by the Diocese of San Jose. In May 2014, SHTCG became part of the Church of Resurrection making Resurrection church SHTCG’s permanent home for all of its activities. In August 2018, SHTCG moved to St. Cyprian Parish to continue its activities.
SHTCG is part of St. Cyprian Parish.
As a distinct ethnic community, the mission of the Sacred Heart Tamil Catholic Group is to remain committed to the Catholic faith, experience the Christian living; celebrate the sacraments, and help the community through love and charity.
- We are committed making SHTCG one large family of brothers, sisters and friends to come together, experience spiritual and moral nourishment and actively enjoy God's grace.
- We encourage our kids and youths to participate actively the Catholic life, ministry and service.
- We recognize that our elders are vital to the life of our community and encourage their involvement in all areas.
- We foster a culture, which demonstrates that our seniors are appreciated and valued.
- We are committed to taking care of the vulnerable members of our community (the sick, poor, lonely & new immigrants).
- We share our Catholic Faith with the larger Catholic Community of St. Cyprian Parish.
- We are a welcoming community that seeks to provide a place of comfort and a spirit of acceptance and love for all.
SHTCG, a very faithful ethnic Catholic community, we embrace stewardship, share the Catholic faith and bring together the local and migrant Tamil speaking Catholics.
- Be a welcoming, dynamic, and united faith community.
- Embrace a spirit of stewardship to generously share our time, talent, and service.
- Achieve excellence in education.
- Inspire profound faith and spiritual formation.
- Provide vibrant kids and youth ministries.
- Celebrate relevant cultural, devotional, and inspirational liturgies.
- Serve others through compassionate personal outreach.